HMS Dreadnought was the first dreadnought battleship, a classification to which she gave her name,and was born out of the minds of Vittorio Cuniberti and First Sea Lord Admiral Sir John Fisher and the results of the Russo-Japanese War.
She was the first to use steam turbines,of which Dreadnought had two, from the Parsons company, that supplied four shafts that all told gave the 527-foot (161 m) long warship a revolutionary top speed of 21.6 knots (40.0 km/h; 24.9 mph) in spite of her displacement of 18,120 long tons (18,410 t).
Dreadnought's primary armament was a suite of ten 45-calibre Mk X 12-inch (300 mm) guns, arranged in such a way that only eight of her main guns could fire a broadside, and a secondary armament of ten 50-calibre 12-pounder guns and five 18-inch (460 mm) torpedo tubes.
Her belt armour ranged from 4 inches (102 mm) to 11 inches (279 mm) of Krupp armour.
Dreadnought sparked a naval arms race that soon had all the world's major powers building new and bigger warships in her image.
Although her concepts would be improved upon for decades, Dreadnought's construction set an unbeaten record of 15 months for the fastest construction of a battleship ever.
From 1907 until 1911, Dreadnought served as the flagship of the Home Fleet until being replaced by HMS Neptune (1909) in March 1911.
Dreadnought was then assigned to the 1st Division of the Home Fleet, and was present at the Fleet Review for the coronation King George V.] In December 1912, the ship was transferred from the 1st Battle Squadron and became the flagship of the 4th Squadron until 10 December 1914.
While patrolling the North Sea on 18 March 1915, she rammed and sank U-29, becoming the only battleship to have sunk a submarine.
Dreadnought did not participate in the Battle of Jutland as she was undergoing a refit.
Two years later, she resumed her role as flagship of the 4th Squadron, but was moved into the reserve in February 1920 and sold for scrap on 9 May 1921.
She was broken up 2 January 1923